Welcome back to the Passive Income Through Multifamily Real Estate podcast! Today, we talk to successful single and multifamily real estate investor, author, podcast co-host, and retiree, Derek Clifford. We hear how Derek transitioned from full-time corporate job to retiree and real estate investor, and what you can do to prepare for your own transition. Find out more about Derek’s book, Part-Time Real Estate Investing for Full-Time Professionals, and his motivation behind sharing this information. We dive into why we should redefine the word ‘retirement’, and are reminded of the benefits afforded by the real estate investor lifestyle. Join us to hear what Derek’s favorite market is right now and why out-of-state investing makes in-state investing a piece of cake. We also discuss the importance of getting your partner on board and how you can use the power of “we” to convince them. Tune in to find out more about how to align yourself to best manifest your potential, and why surrounding yourself with people you admire is so important!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Meet Derek Clifford, retiree, real estate investor, author, and podcast co-host.
- How Derek moved out of his full-time corporate job into real estate.
- Derek’s advice on how you can start your real estate investment journey: consistency is key.
- Tips on preparing yourself to move from your full-time job into real estate investing.
- Changing the definition of retirement and opening up choices for yourself.
- How to get your partner on board with your real estate investment journey.
- The role that Derek’s wife has played in their real estate investing team, and what a good partnership requires.
- The importance of surrounding yourself with inspirational people.
- Derek on why being an out-of-state investor is more beneficial than being an in-state investor.
- What you need to become an out-of-state investor.
- Derek's favorite market right now and why, as well as how Derek finds his deals.
- What tools Derek can’t live without, his biggest mistake in real estate investing, what he needs to grow his life to the next level.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: