Some people simply have impeccable timing when it comes to real estate investment. Today’s guest is one of them. Rebecca Moore Buller is a multi-family real estate syndicator based in Dallas, Texas, who started investing in multi-family properties when the market was scorching. She and her husband, Warren, accumulated several single-family homes while stationed in the different locations the US Navy sent them. In 2012, they founded their company, Starboard Equity, with the purpose of investing in real estate to become financially independent. Rebecca has over 10 years of investing experience, has led in the acquisition of four multi-family properties and currently owns over 2,000 multi-family units. In today’s episode, she talks about how she got into real estate after getting her doctorate in clinical psychology. She discusses her transition from being solely a limited partner to becoming a general partner too, outlining some of the differences in terms of responsibility. Tune in for some valuable insight, and to find out how nearly any prior career or education could prepare you for a career in real estate.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Rebecca’s professional background.
- What led her to multi-family real estate syndication.
- Why she started as a passive limited partner.
- How many investments she invested in as a limited partner before becoming a general partner.
- Rebecca describes her property management system.
- She talks about whether she’s needed to add staff to her team, and how she’s scaling up.
- Rebecca’s transition from limited partner to general partner.
- The additional responsibilities of a general partner.
- Which markets Rebecca’s invested in and what led her to invest in them.
- Which markets Rebecca’s invested in as a general partner.
- How her doctorate in clinical psychology has helped her when it comes to real estate.
- What real estate investing provides her with, that a career in psychology could not.
- Rebecca’s most valuable tool in real estate investing: property analyzer.
- Her biggest mistake in real estate investing so far; her regret of not sharing information.
- How she intends to grow her network and find a healthy work-life balance.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: