If you are in the real estate game currently or are thinking about diving in, chances are you have heard the term 'refinancing'. If you have not, do not fear, we have James Kandasamy from Achieve Investment Group here to explain the idea and share his wisdom on the subject! James joins us for this edition of Asset Management Fridays and we go through all the important points about refinancing and how James has used it to build his business. He has experienced amazing growth and success in a relatively short period of time and we hear all about his impressive business before jumping into what refinancing entails. We unpack the intricacies of the topic, talking about return on capital versus return of capital and which types of loans might suit your needs best. James gives us some insight into fees that are associated with refinancing and he warns us about pre-payment penalties and other hazards. We learn a bunch of lessons from James today about your DSCR, avoiding bridge lenders, and more, so make sure to join us on the show to get it all!
Key Points From This Episode:
- James' business and how large his company has grown in the last five years.
- The tricky business of refinancing; smart times to do it and the power that it offers.
- Return on capital versus return of capital and the dilution of the term 'cashflow'.
- Possible difficulties that arise in the refinancing cycle and during the deal.
- James' ideas on long-term debt and the use of bridge loans.
- Avoiding pre-payment penalties and making use of conventional bank loans.
- The array of rates and fees that go into a refinance and the two ways to approach it.
- James' asset management superpowers: controlling expenses, using data, and more!
“When I buy a deal, I already know that that I can refinance this deal in one or two years.” — James Kandasamy [0:01:53]
“The power of commercial real estate, especially on a deep value add deal, is on refinances.” — James Kandasamy [0:02:46]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: